Monday, April 14, 2008

Running like the wind

Somedays, most days - when I go out for a run, I hate almost every step from the end of my driveway until the return to my front door. It's typically very early in the morning and either really cold, or super hot, I am exhausted from not getting enough sleep, and usually alone. Me and alone don't do so well together of late - it's too quiet and too much time to think. I do much better with a partner in crime to keep me talking and un-focused.

This morning was a different story though. I had one of those days where I felt like I could literally run ALL morning. Through fields and forests, up mountains and down valleys. It's the most amazing "high" when this happens - and it's so rare! (For me, at least). I can count on one hand the number of times I have had days like this. My stride was perfect, and I was breathing exactly how one is supposed to when they run... smooth and deep. My legs felt light as a feather, and it was effortless. The sun was rising as I crested my last hill and I literally just closed my eyes and ran towards it... it was awesome.

This perfect run as served as a catalyst for me - I just signed up for the Philosopher's Way Trail Run on May 31. I am going to attempt the 15K which is a really big goal for me to be setting. I am hoping to recurit my friends Anne and Dick to run with me...

So let's hope I get a few more of these kinds of days in the next 6 weeks as I prepare for this big event!

No comments: