We were going out for dinner on Tuesday night, just the kids and I, as Ken was at the 'Canes game.
On the way to the restaurant, we drove past this teeny tiny cemetery, with maybe 6 headstones in it. Matthew noticed it and immediately asked why, when you die - do you get buried in the ground? (Here we go again with interesting van conversation...)
So I told him that indeed, some people do get buried... and other people choose to be cre...cre..(pause... mentally thinking, am I going down a bad path here???)... cremated.
"What is cremated?" he asks. (Of course he asks!!)
I have to interject here that at this point, Ainsley's mind is completely blown at the fact/thought that you get PUT IN THE GROUND when you die. Her eyes are like as round as saucers and she just keeps saying "You get BURIED? Like in the DIRT???" (What damage have I done now??)
I explain that cremation is a process whereby a person that has died undergoes a transformation so that their body is turned to ashes.
Matt - "You mean you bake the dead person?"
Me - "Yes - sort of. It's not like baking a cake. It's a very special and peaceful process. Their body is transformed, but their spirit is free to live with God forever."
Matt - "Why do they do this?"
Me - "Well, some people really don't like the thought of their body being put in the ground once they pass away. They don't like the idea of being in the cold dirt. Like me - I do not wish to be put in the ground when I die - I would prefer to be cremated."
We keep driving, and arrive at Stonewood. Matthew is unbuckling his seatbelt to get out, and he stops, looks at me and says, "If you are cremated, I am going to keep you in a box on my dresser! That way I can always talk to you."
I am not sure if I should laugh or cry - this is such a crazy but amazingly sweet thought - in particular for a seven year old.
Ainsley pipes up... "Maffew - you have to let me in your room then, so I can talk to Mommy sometimes too!"
No comments:
Post a Comment