Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Soy and coffee do NOT mix

For the last few months - well, maybe 6 months now, I've been making a pretty conscious effort to eat pretty healthy and get moving again, and it's been showing! I feel good and have lost a decent amount of weight. I have (tried) to avoid sugar and refined flour, and no more red meat.

This week I thought I'd take the plunge and switch to soy milk or creamer in my coffee, as a replacement for the ultra-amazing-smooth-thick-and-creamy-delightful-delicious-cream I USUALLY have. I am a sucker for half and half... YUM!

I poured my coffee this am just before walking out the door and added in the soy... hmmmm... interesting earthy tone, the coffee stayed. Not overthinking, and staying focused on my healthy goals... out the door I went and hopped in the van with the kids. I typically don't start drinking my coffee until I am safely through the chaos at Durant and Six Forks and moving nicely on 540... and today was no different. We were cruising towards Cary when I took my first sip...

OMG. It was AWFUL. Like completely gross.

It took every ounce of willpower to not spit it across my van. The taste was somewhere between burnt wood and dirt I think. I can't really describe it. The bigger issue now though - is that it's 8:15 on a work day and I have NO CAFFIENE!!! It's a slippery slope to crisis mode!

I get the kids dropped off and head for the closest starbucks... not my personal favorite, but hey - at this point - anything will do! The line is out the door - I can feel my internal organs starting to quiver at the smell of coffee... those barrista's are rock stars though, and within minutes I was sipping a wonderful, warm, full on half and half cup o' joe!

NOW the day can begin!

No comments: