Monday, November 3, 2008

Woops...

There goes a whole week without me evening noticing. Sorry about that!

Ainsley did not have strep, but did have some viral crud that lasted well into Wednesday. I have it now - gotta love sharing!

Halloween was really fun - although our neighbourhood is TOTALLY LAME when it comes to things like Halloween. Seriously - I was so discouraged! We ended up bailing at 7:30 and headed back to our very first neighbourhood, Falls River - that we moved to when first arriving from Canada. That started a whole other discussion...

Man, I miss that neighbourhood. To a certain degree I miss the house too - I know it would be tight with 5 of us, but it was such a great home, and the fact that Ken and I did some of the design work (as much as the builder would let us...) made it that much more special. I think we were both feeling the same thing as we walked around the very social and friendly streets on Friday evening with our friends Jim and Max... just really wishing that we had never left! I mean - I know the choices we made over the last few years were done for the very best of intentions... and hindsight really is 20-20... but THAT street, THOSE people - that is our bag. It's how we live... it's coming home from work and seeing lots of people outside shooting the breezing, sipping a beer, kids playing. It's the unspoken "war of the best yard" between all the guys on the street, bunco with the girls, and easy playdates that don't involve getting in your car and schlepping off to some far off neighbourhood to play. You can just walk out your front door.

On a walk back in our own neck of the woods last evening, we met up with some current neighbours that also ended up over that way on Friday (but not with us) who expressed some of the same things I am saying here. They moved to Raleigh a couple years ago from Atlanta - and really enjoyed their visit to Bedford on Friday night... and are as serious about potentially thinking about moving that direction when and if this market ever turns around.

We pinky swore that we'd go together... :) Not at exactly the same time - but close...

1 comment:

bb said...

Your old neighborhood sounds fabulous. Ours is full of houses but who knows if they actually have people in them. In Dallas, we have alleys, and the garages are in the back of the house so people drive around to the back, into the garage, never having to be seen by human. There is no socializing and heaven forbid if you try to actually talk w someone. Unheard of!

By the way, LOVE the foreigner spelling. (heehee)

Hope you feel better, but glad that Ainsley is better.