Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Kindergarten Transition...

People might (or might not) tell you about the transition to Kindergarten. It's a crazy 5-6 weeks for the child that is experiencing all the new things that school has to offer. In our experience, eating might be off, sleeping and sleep routines definitely get thrown into chaos and there may be some subtle changes in personality. Matthew was exhausted and was falling asleep at the dinner table almost!

Ainsley seems to be struggling a little with the separation parts. Her days are great, her teacher reports she is a great school friend... she's eating fine and playing normally. When bedtime hits though - look out. The wheels come off the wagon.

"I want YOU. I need YOU to stay with me. Please don't leave me - I can't stay in my room alone. Why do you and daddy get to stay together and I have to be ALONE? I need YOU. I want YOU..."

Really heartbreaking stuff. She's sobbing hysterically to boot so it's taking everything I've got to not just break down with her. I calm her down by reading, or like last night - getting her to help me finish the chicken tetrazzini I was making at 9:30PM... the complete change in focus helps to control the crying and upset so we can try to actually talk about what she is feeling. There is nothing specific - I think it's just the cumulative effects of all the new experiences that is overwhelming her sweet little head.

So - for the next month, we console and comfort and support. It does get better... and they do adjust!!

1 comment:

bb said...

Your sweet baby girl still needs her mom. I envy you right now.

Feeling better today and hope you are too!