Dear Mattie,
9. Wow. NINE! It seems like just yesterday you were 9 months - but today you are 9 YEARS old. Double digits next year...
You're starting to hit those preteen times. Perhaps a little quieter... more focused. Sometimes sullen. Mostly happy and exuberant, but every so often - you get very quiet and I worry about what is racing through your mind.
And your mind. Good Lord child - your brain. You have left me in your dust, and even your father struggles at times to keep up with your incredible capacity and desire to know everything, about everything, at all times. You are an insatiable reader - and don't think that I don't notice the faint light drizzling out from under your door in the later hours of the evening... I do. When it starts to impact your ability to get out of bed and be ready for school the next day, I'll get on your case. Right now - it's simply too good to be true, that you love to read THIS much - so I am not going to get on your case about the hours you keep.
Soccer is still your favourite sport by a mile, and you are improving your finesse and speed with each practice and game. This will be a big year, because you are eligible for try outs in the fall. I hope for you that it goes well, and you can stick with some of your current team mates on a more challenging team.
Ever the first child, you are a perfectionist and a skilled negotaitor and have high expectations of yourself as well as those around you. You area wonderful and loyal friend... however you don't like it when rules are bent or broken (unless it's you doing the bending or breaking.)
I think you sometimes take Ainsley forgranted - it's not intentional - she just can't seem at times, to live up to your standards. I want so badly for you to understand that she will be your best friend forever and that you need to cut her some slack! You don't need to compete with her.
With Amelia though - you are so different. She brings joy to you, and you can make her light up and giggle for hours when you play with her. She's off your radar as a threat I guess - which makes your relationship with her so "brotherly". We need to help you transfer some of your feelings and connections that you have with Amelia, to Ainsley.
The changes in you are so amazing and happening so fast, but at the same time, you're still that little boy... who still will climb into my lap for a hug, or to read, or snuggle when you're not feeling great. I hope that you continue to rely on both daddy and I - to asnwer your questions and help make sense of the world when it gets to be too much. Because it will at times - and we will always be here for you.
Happy Birthday my sweet boy. All the best to you... you make Daddy and I so proud.
Love,
Mommy






No comments:
Post a Comment