I am probably not much different than most parents when it comes to the white lies and fibs I will tell to keep the belief in Santa going strong. Matt is almost 9, Ainsley almost 7 and we are entering those waters of "is he real or not" every so slightly. This morning - I had to do some very quick thinking.
We carpool with another child who is the youngest in his family, and I am not quite sure if he still believes or not. In any case - if he doesn't - my hat is off to this kid for sensing the mental red alerts I was radiating during the morning commute conversation.
Ainsley started out by asking what happens when Santa arrives at a house with no chimney. I think probably every kid at some point wonders about this - and I had pondered this question before so I was ready.
"Sometimes if people don't have a chimney they will leave a special key for Santa to be able to get into the house. It only works for him! But - most people have a chimney. Look around at all these houses... let's count chimneys!"
Whew.
"Well" she said... "what happens if you have one of those fires that goes off and on by a switch on your wall and you leave it ON?? Santa won't know. They don't smoke."
Hmmmm.
"Those kinds of fireplaces, sweetie - those ones have secondary switches at the very top of the chimney. Even though there is no smoke, the HEAT rises, so Santa ALWAYS checks for heat coming up in the chimney before he jumps in. If it's warm - he uses that secondary switch to turn the logs off and make sure it's safe for him."
I was thinking I'd gone too far... it was too much. But MATT totally was like "yeah Ainsley - 2 switches..." (with the "duhhh voice...)
"Mommy. What about the chimneys that have the roof thing on them? (she means the chimney cap...) Those are too small for Santa to get in! A bird can't even get in there!"
"Well Ainsley - those chimney caps - those are on special tracks up there that Santa can un-hook and re-hook it back on. He'll take it off for the few minutes it takes for him to scoot down and leave his presents, and then he puts it right back on when he gets back up to the roof to make sure that no birds can get stuck in the chimney."
"OK mommy. (changing subjects now...) Is that a red cross hospital...??? Why is there a red PLUS sign on it??"
Sigh. Belief restored - for now.
2 comments:
I grew up in a house with no fireplace so we were always told that Santa just comes in the front door. Santa always left the door unlocked in the morning too!
And... as you know, my brother is 9 years younger than me. The rule in our house is that as long as you "believe" in Santa around everyone, then Santa visits you. If you tell ANYONE you don't believe or make someone else not believe, then Santa doesn't bring you anything.
We never once told my brother anything bc we were so afraid to be the one on Christmas morning not getting any presents!
Ohhh that is a BRILLIANT rule - thanks for those words!!!!
Post a Comment