Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Tooth Fairy

I can't remember if I have posted prior to this about forgetting the tooth fairy.

The tooth fairy is my nemesis.

On multiple occasions now - the tooth fairy has failed to show on the night of the tooth loss. It's not like I am not prepared - I am. In our house, the tooth fairy leaves books - and I have a whole stash of books hidden away for just these occasions. Matthew has lost 6 teeth now, and for 4 of them - the damn tooth fairy has fallen asleep prior to..ahem... making the drop.

Matthew lost his tooth on Saturday evening - while we were in BJ's no less - and as soon as he came home, put it in his special tooth box and stashed it under his pillow. Fast forward to Sunday AM... I woke up super early, and was lazing around having a quiet and peaceful start to the day. Ainsley came down and we snuggled for a bit and then it HIT me - CRAP!! THE TOOTH! I ran in and whispered in Ken's ear (Ainsley scurrying behind me asking what was wrong!) and we both were filled with angst on what to do THIS time.

Fear not. Within moments, I had a plan.















It worked like a charm... and we even got this in return...















Since we had just moved Matthew from his old room to the new room - I capitalized on that detail, and was able to create something believable. Trust me - any of you new parents, or parents of very young children... your day is coming. It's a freaking art trying to figure out how to walk the lines of "believe-ableness" and possibility. You have to think on your feet - and the result has to be just perfect enough so as to make it real to the child, but not prompt a million questions that you can end up getting tripped up on. It's not easy!

The tooth fairy did find her way on Sunday!! :)

For the record - his note back to the tooth fairy actually did use complete and appropriate sentences... I just cut it off in the picture!

2 comments:

Baby and Me said...

That is the funniest thing I think I have ever seen! When he gets much older and you show him his note back to the tooth fairy he will remember a fond moment of childhood.

bb said...

That is hilarious!! Love it!