This was the scene a very few minutes before the children woke up and complete, total CHAOS ensued. For like 8 days! We had a houseful this year and it was awesome! Great to share holidays with those you love and the kids had a great time catching up and reconnecting.
We had an awesome dinner of turkey and ham, potatoes, celery root puree, brocoli au gratin, gravy, buns, dessert! Wine! BUTTER.
Ahem. The Vegan went Ve-GONE for about 8 days. Currently in detox (literally) and back on the wagon now...
As is becoming the "norm" - we headed to the NC Mountains for New Years. First time we checked out Lake Lure area - definitely nice, but totally different than Boone or Blowing Rock. The weather was great and the house very nice. We all had a good time!
Sunset over the Chimney Rock stretch of mountains. |
New Years Eve day, 2012. Ainsley, Matthew and Amelia. |
| CB and Amelia traipsing through the stream |
. The house we rented had a winding stream beside it and came fully stocked with rubber boots in nearly every size - so this was an epic Play Thing for the kids. Thank heavens it was warm because they were soaked up to their eyeballs!
Please.don't.jump. |
Ringleader... |
Group shot. |
SOAKED. But happy! |
| While in Asheville we came across a street that had MY name! |
My friend Ann "famously" takes pictures almost every year of her children standing up against street signs that share their names when she comes across them - never in a million years did I think I'd find a "Sayles" Road!! My dad was tickled when I sent this to him!
During the break I read both Wild and Tiny Beautiful Things - both by Cheryl Strayed who now I want to meet and have coffee with. These two books have stuck with me - especially Tiny - just such wonderful messages and great perspective. Both also rec'd by LauraC... So this year, one of a trend/pattern/trait that I am going to work on improving is GRACE.
I KNOW that I am rough sometimes around the edges. I totally over-react, over-analyze, over-interpret and over-judge. Grace is about elegance and refinement. It's about honour. When I do or say things without thinking all the way through, it is not elegant. Or honourable.
Happy and peaceful 2013 everyone. Peace and GRACE to you all!
2 comments:
I love it! GRACE. I will have to do that one year. Maybe once I reflect on it a little more.
I am still on the waiting list for Wild at the library! But Tiny... on man, Sugar told me exactly what I needed to hear right now and had no idea.
And... I'm running Tobacco Road half in mid-March. Will definitely hit you up for some long runs once they get going longer. Only 5 this week.
I like that you are "rough around the edges". I say you should embrace who you are!
:-)
Post a Comment