Thursday, November 1, 2012

Favourite Quote...

“You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room.”

― Dr. Seuss

I first found this quote looking for a way to honour Seuss on one of his birthdays.  It wasn't one I had seen posted in a bazillion places before - and it just stood out to me.

Every week I spend time working with a group of 4th graders on math.  Let that sink in for a minute because DUDES - I am SO NOT A MATH girl. 

At the beginning of the year, maybe 6 or 7 kids routinely participated in the morning session... eager, excited to show off a bit.  Each week - another new student joins in.

Seeing a 9 year old kid find the balls to put him or herself out there on a Friday morning and "compete" with a group of peers... guys I just really can't put into words how that makes a person feel inside. 

The majority of kids in the school I volunteer at do not live the way we do.  They are often alone, usually hungry and rarely praised.  My intent is not to have you or anyone become angry at reading this - it's the reality of the situation.  Mom or Dad is on their own, maybe working multiple jobs, who knows.  Lots of shitty things go on right outside our doors.

Not every kid will end up in the math circle.  I know that.  But some WILL.  Some are starting to understand, and maybe believe - in the possibility of a bit more. 

And it's true - no matter where you are, how lucky or unlucky - you do have the capacity to just sit down, focus and work it out.

NaBloMoPo - Day 1

No comments: