Friday, April 23, 2010

Look out

So today begins a 30 day regimen of no caffeine for me.

You might want to stay the f*&^k away for the first 12-15 days or so.

At a routine appt on Wednesday my doc noticed an "area of interest" on my left breast. I had an ultrasound yesterday and there is something there - but it's probably no big deal. The no caffeine along with high doses of vitamin E for the next 30 days will apparently "calm the breast tissues" down to the point where the ultrasound will be better able to show her what it might be - so we know if any further action is required.

Again - I am totally not stressing about this - in all likelihood it's just a chunk of fat that migrated from my gut up to my boob. In a month hopefully they can see what they need to see and I can go back to my normal morning vices...

I am grateful that my doc is running me through the hoops. I know there are some Canadians reading this - for a health care frame of reference - my ob/gyn felt this mass on Wednesday afternoon. I had the ultrasound yesterday at 11 AM and they had me scheduled for a digital mamogram on Monday at 1. People scream about the US healthcare system - and there are a lot of things admittedly that are wrong with it. But I can't say I have ever heard of anyone I know in Canada - getting things lined up like THIS in the turnaround time that I am experiencing. It's unheard of. Things like this - they are doing something right.

More updates later.

2 comments:

LauraC said...

Oh Jodi, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope it comes back as nothing. I have "lumpy" breasts for lack of a better word, so I can have my one cup of coffee in the morning and sometimes a mid-day caffeine and that's it or else I have to go through the whole rigamarole of u/s, mammograms, etc.

And I do have to agree on the speediness of the US health care system. Once they figure out something is wrong, they do not screw around. Too much fear of malpractice. I got my hearing diagnosis on a Friday and had surgery to repair it the following Friday.

Jodi said...

Thanks... I had not heard about the lumps and caffeine thing! Or the Vit. E stuff - so hopefully it does what it's supposed to do!

My mom died of breast cacner - so I am sure that somehow influences the decesions and protocols, etc. I am glad that they have the ability to move it all along so fast.