Saturday, January 24, 2009

Amelia Rose is here!!!







I have been meaning to post for a couple of days, if even just a short one - to let you know that Amelia "Mia" Rose Bulmer is here, she's safe, she's perfect and she's beautiful!

The abbreviated birth story is this - I woke up at 3:33 AM. Weird, eh? "3 3 3". I just laid there for 45 minutes until it was time to get going... showered, got ready and headed for the hospital. We expected the roads to be really bad after the snow event here on Tuesday... but they were fine. We arrive early - and the nurses are SO happy as it's been dead all night and they are overjoyed at having something to do!

Get processed and into our room... it's about 8:45 before Dr. Scott arrives to break my water. He does, it's clear and fine, and away we go. I immediately dilate to 4 cm - baby is not engaged at this point though. Contractions are intense but not long and drawn out. I am hanging in.

Fast forward about 45 minutes - they are getting stronger, and they hang pitocin now. I am starting to hurt a little - can I please have an epidural!?!? :) SURE they say... of course they do! Dr. R arrives to adminster epi...

So - you know it's probably not awesome when your epidural doctor uses the words "atypical" and "let's wait and see" when you're getting an epidural! Sure enough - the first one doesn't take. God bless my nurse K though - because she ignored my OB and did not turn up the pit level until we knew for sure that the epi was effective... which it was NOT. Dr. R returns about 11AM to re-administer the epidural... this time it ROCKS!

Within a few minutes I am really comfortable. Pit is turned up, and nurse K checks me about 20 min after the epi is in. 6cm, can stretch to 8. I hang in... she checks me again at 12:15, I am complete, it's time to push. Dr. S returns, gowns up... at this point I almost have her head already out and he's telling me to slow down!

3 more pushes and our beautiful little girl arrives. She came out screaming and it was the best sound ever.





1 comment:

bb said...

Wow! Three and a half hours to fully dilate and then 30 minutes of pushing? Sounds like the perfect induction! Mia is lovely and I know you are over the moon in love with her. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Congratulations!!!!